Friday, April 11, 2008

No MX records no SPAM

Recently on slashdot.org a freind note this blog.

As such, I have control of unmailable.com and have been testing the server parameters. Under this I sent email to the domain to check the system. I received email, of course.

Here are the slashdot comments by woolio (who apparently needs to learn about admining a server.)

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=518480&cid=23033582

You don't have an MX (DNS) record for your domain!

Without designating where the mail should go, you won't get much (if any).

Mail servers *do not* use ordinary "A" type DNS records for email!

Are you even running a SMTP server? It doesn't look like it...

----

Interesting. I did not think to check for an MX record.

Yes, the SMTP server is running. I get email.

Also, the comment that "mail servers" [*do not* use ordinary "A" type] records is incorrect. "A" records are used to send email, that is the default for all mail servers. This has always has been the case. Apparently, "spammers" do use the "A" record.

To that, this begs the question: How long before spammers figure this out?

Jesse

----
2008/04/17
ERROR. ERROR. ERROR.
unmailable.com does have an MX record. I don't know why it is not being spammed. More later.

Jesse

No comments: